How to Cook It: Chocolate-Covered Grilled Coconut
For many people, coconut encompasses all the summer feels, whether it’s mixed into a refreshing pi?a colada or hanging from a tree on the beach.
While you might think of coconut as a fruit, this tropical food is technically a fruit, a nut, and a seed, per the?Library of Congress. Inside you get a whole lot of fat, so a little goes a long way, but one thing you may not consider it for is its fiber — each raw piece measuring 2 inches by 2 ? inches offers 4 grams (g), as the?U.S. Department of Agriculture?notes, making it a good source of the filling nutrient.
Grilling coconut deepens its flavor and dries it enough so that the pieces can be dipped in decadent dark chocolate. A pinch of sea salt rounds out this delicious summertime dessert perfectly! Here’s some inspiration for enjoying coconut this way.
- 1 fresh coconut
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ? tsp flaked sea salt or kosher salt (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Use a Phillips-head screwdriver to pierce holes in all three of the eyes of the coconut. If necessary, use a hammer to help. Drain all of the coconut water into a bowl and reserve for another purpose.
- Use the hammer to break the coconut in half. Alternatively, place the coconut in a 400 degree F oven and bake until the outer shell of the coconut cracks, about 20 minutes. Use a spoon to separate the coconut flesh from the outer shell.
- Place coconut pieces on the preheated grill and cook until they begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Flip the coconut pieces and cook for 4 to 5 minutes more. Place the coconut on a plate and cover with aluminum foil.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high in 30 second intervals, stirring each time, until the chocolate is completely melted, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Break the coconut into smaller pieces if desired. Dip each into the melted chocolate using a spatula to spread the chocolate evenly, if desired. Sprinkle the chocolate with salt, if using, and allow to cool until the chocolate is hardened.
Nutrition per serving: 211 calories, 16g total fat (13.2g saturated fat), 2g protein, 18g carbohydrates, 4.3g fiber, 12.7g sugar (10.7g added sugar), 7mg sodium