Diagnostic Tests for Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE)
EoE is an autoimmune disease in which white blood cells, called eosinophils, build up in the esophagus, causing symptoms such as?difficulty swallowing (dysphagia)?or food getting stuck (food impaction).
RELATED: What Is an Endoscopy?
RELATED: What Is a Biopsy?
RELATED: Allergy Symptoms and Diagnosis
Related: What Is an Elimination or Exclusion Diet?? ?
Tests to Rule Out Other Conditions
Other diseases can cause eosinophils to build up in the esophagus as well. Some of these include:
- Other forms of esophagitis
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), such as?Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis (UC)?
What Happens After an EoE Diagnosis?
After you get an EoE diagnosis, you and your doctor will decide on the best treatment plan.
- Primary care physician?This is your main doctor, who can refer you to other specialists.
- Allergist/immunologist?These experts can help you determine if your reactions are due to certain foods or environmental triggers.
- Gastroenterologist?A gastroenterologist specializes in diseases of the digestive tract. They can perform tests, such as endoscopies.
- Registered dietitian (RD)?An RD can help you come up with an appropriate diet plan for improving your symptoms.
The American Partnership for Eosinophilic Disorders (APFED) provides a specialist finder feature that helps you locate medical professionals who treat eosinophilic diseases. You can search for a provider by specialty and location.
Coping with an EoE diagnosis can be overwhelming. You may want to seek support outside your medical community of doctors. APFED’s online support community lets patients, caregivers, and family members connect with each other and share information.
Takeaway: Why an Accurate Diagnosis Is Important
Editorial Sources and Fact-Checking
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Mayo Clinic. September 23, 2020.
- Lin SK, Zhang S, et al. Challenges in Managing Patients Referred for Eosinophilic Esophagitis: A Telephone Survey and Retrospective Review.?Allergy and Asthma Proceedings. November 2018.
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis. NORD: National Organization for Rare Disorders. 2019.
- Muir AB, Brown-Whitehorn T, et al. Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Early Diagnosis Is the Key. Clinical and Experimental Gastroenterology. 2019.
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis. MedlinePlus. May 17, 2021.
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EoE).?Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology. February 24, 2020.
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis. American College of Gastroenterology.
- Who Treats EoE?. Takeda Pharmaceuticals.
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis. American Academy of Family Physicians.